Happy Valentine’s Day! This Sugar Cookie recipe is absolutely the best one I’ve ever tasted. It came from my Mother-in-Law’s 50 year old Good Housekeeping Cookbook. The way I make is with frosting and sprinkles. Yum!
What you’ll need:
2¼ cups flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup shortening (Mom uses white Crisco)
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. milk
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
Cookie cutters in various shapes
Little hands to frost and sprinkle
How Mom makes it:
Heat oven to 375º
Combine in a large bowl shortening and sugar and beat at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until blended.
In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Then finally add the milk into the mixture. Mix just until blended.
Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut out shapes with cookie cutters or you can use a glass to cut out circles. Add frosting when cooled.
Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned
1. Sprinkle with sugar before baking.
2. Use brown sugar instead of white.
3. Sprinkle cookies with caraway seeds before baking.
4. Add 2 oz. melted chocolate to creamed mixture.
5. Use lemon extract instead of vanilla extract.
6. Make into spice cookies by adding ¼ tsp each of cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
Mom’s Sugar Cookie Frosting